NOTE: Ledger extensions on Google Chrome can no longer be downloaded, as Ledger has now put into place a standardized app, the Ledger Live, but can still be used if already downloaded on your Chrome navigator.
OPENING THE BITCOIN LEDGER WALLET APPLICATION
In order to open the Bitcoin Ledger Wallet application, you must have:
- the Ledger Bitcoin Chrome application installed on your Chrome browser (Linux, Windows or Mac). If you didn't install yet, you can download it here.
- a Ledger device that is initialized : Nano, HW.1, Nano S or Blue. Without the device, the app won't launch. If the device is no yet set up (first usage), the application will not launch. With Nano S and Blue, you also need to open the Bitcoin app on your device. In order to instqll the Bitcoin wqllet on your Nano S or blue, you can refer to our Ledger Manager Usage Guide.
- Connect your Ledger device and enter your PIN code
- Open your Bitcoin application on the Ledger device itself (required for Nano S and Blue)
- Disable the "Browser support" setting of this application (required for Nano S and Blue)
- Close all other Ledger applications (Ledger Manager, Ledger Wallet Ethereum, ...)
- Launch the Bitcoin Chrome app on your computer (via the Chrome navigator applications) , or go to go to chrome://apps/ via your omnibox (there you'll find all the extensions you installed). The application will unlock and update itself.
- Select the Bitcoin chain
- Select "Legacy" if you want to use the historic Bitcoin branch, or "Segwit" if you want to use the branch released in August 2017.
- Your Bitcoin wallet opens
The Bitcoin Chrome application updates automatically. Each time Ledger releases an update, it will be synced after a few hours on your computer. If you want to force an update to the latest version, just restart Chrome.
HOW DOES IT WORK
The only way to open it is to connect your Nano S or Blue, make your PIN code and launch the Bitcoin app on your device. Without the device, the app won't launch.
You'll then have to choose on your computer between Legacy and Segwit . Please be careful to choose the right wallet as it would be difficult - but not impossible - to recover tokens sent on the wrong account.
For each sending transaction, the application will ask you to verify it on your device: your device will display the amount, recipient address and gas rate you will have to manually sign, by confirming on the device that everything is alright.