You have just purchased your Nano S, now you need to configure it and install some applications to use it.
YOUR NEW NANO S
The Nano S includes an OLED screen, 2 buttons, and it is provided with a micro USB / USB cable to be plugged on the USB 2 port of your computer (not USB 3). If your computer only has USB C ports, you can use an On-The-Go adapter.
The 2 buttons will be used to navigate:
- scroll up and down in the dashboard and menus by pressing right or left button,
- select and validate by pressing both buttons simultaneously
As you can see, there is not any power button: you simply need to connect your Nano S to turn it on, and to disconnect the cable to turn it off, with no prior step.
PRIOR TO STARTING
You need 2 things to make your Nano S work:
- a connected computer running Chrome browser, where you will install and run your wallets to manage your accounts, send and receive payments.
- your Nano S with its USB cable to log in your Chrome applications and authenticate your transactions.
The initialization doesn't need to be done online.
- Connect your Nano S on a wall socket or a computer
- Press both buttons as stated
- Then you can chose if you want
- to configure a new device, with an original seed,
- or if you want to restore a configuration
- If you want to create a new seed, select "Configure as new device" by clicking on the right button (above the check icon)
If you want to import a seed you already have, click on the left button (above the cross), you will be prompted to restore a configuration instead of creating a new one
- Choose a PIN code. Depending on which firmware you have, the number of digits can vary:
- If you run 1.1 or 1.2 firmware you can select 4 digits (like the example in our video)
- If you run 1.3 and more, you can select 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 digits.
- As long as the next step (24 words backup) is not validated, this PIN code isn't validated.
24 WORDS BACKUP
- The 24 words of your seed will now be displayed, one by one. This step is paramount as this seed is the ownership and the backup of your wallet and funds. Be really careful to read and write each one correctly: if you make even one single mistake on a character, your seed would be false and you could not be able to recover your funds in case of need.
- Take the Recovery sheet provided in your box
- On this Recovery sheet, write down Word #1, and check it twice or three times
- Write down Word #2, and check it twice or three times, and be careful to note it in second position
- Write down Word #3, and check it twice or three times, and be careful to note it in third position
- and so on for each word until the #24 one
Yes, this step is long and needs a full concentration, but it is absolutely required. Note that the 24 words seed is:
- what makes you your own bank, as you are the only one to know this secret
- what makes you the owner of your coins
- the only way to recover your funds if you lose your Nano S
- shown only once, during this initialization step. it won't be displayed anymore, in any way
- Once the full list of 24 words have been written down, validate as required
- Verify the displayed words by selecting the right ones that match with the ones you copied
- When your Nano S displays "Your device is now ready", your Nano S is configured.
APPLICATIONS ON YOUR NANO S
Your Nano S is a multi-application device, so you can install and uninstall several applications on it, like Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP a.k.a Ripple, and many other ones (altcoins, authentication, etc.), some of them provided by Ledger, some of them by other companies.
By default, your Nano S has some applications already installed:
- and FIDO U2F
They can be removed, replaced, and you can add new applications thanks to the Ledger Live, which you can download on Ledger's website.
Please refer to our Ledger Live article to get started with your Ledger and carry out transactions using the Ledger Live app.